Easy Carrot Cake – Make you own marzipan carrots and whiz up your cake decoration for your easy carrot cake recipe.
Marzipan carrots are easy to make, and look great on top of your carrot cake or even cupcakes! You can modify the recipe and vary the size of the carrots to suit your needs.
You can make your own, or purchase it from most large supermarkets. Marzipan most commonly comes a convenient size – but you can use more or less depending on what you have available.
7 ounces (1 roll) marzipan
Red and yellow food colouring
Powdered sugar for dusting
Edible sprigs of herbs for decoration, or make your own.
1. Coat your hands with powdered sugar, or you can wear plastic gloves.
2. Knead the marzipan until it has softened. Flatten the icing into a disc. To make orange colouring, and add a few drops of red and yellow food colouring to the middle. Use a ratio of 1 drop red to 2 drops yellow. Fold into a ball and begin to work the color throughout the dough. Add more food coloring if desired,and work until the marzipan is one uniform colour.
3. Roll the marzipan into small balls, and roll between your palms. Lengthening them into thin tubes with a taper at one end.
4. Using a toothpick and, holding it across the carrots shapes, make horizontal lines along the length with the toothpick, creating slight creases.
5 Poke holes in the tops of the carrots, and insert the sprigs of herbs to be the carrot leaves, or roll out carrot tops with green coloured marzipan, and insert these instead.
6. Store marzipan carrots in an airtight container for up to two weeks. Alternatively, freeze the well-wrapped marzipan carrots for up to three months.