Easy Vegan Carrot Cake. This recipe for vegan carrot cake is loaded with treats, and has a wonderful easy carrot cake frosting combining macadamia and cashew nuts.
Vegan carrot cake with macadamia lemon frosting
2 1/4 cups flour …half cake flour, half normal flour or half wholewheat flour
1 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup almond milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup coconut oil .. melted
2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup macadamia nuts .. pre-soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup cashews …pre-soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 and grease a 9 x13 (or similar) baking tray.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and baking powder, as well as the cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the vanilla and applesauce, as well as the almond milk, sugar and oil.
4. Combine the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients.
5. Fold in the carrots and stir lightly until just combined.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cake completely before icing.
7. Frosting: Add all into a blender. Begin on low and gradually increase speed. You can add an extra tablespoon of almond milk if necessary to get your blade moving as the mixture will be thick at the start.
8. Blend until very smooth.
9. Chill for at least 30 minutes to thicken the mix up before spreading.
10. Store leftover frosted cake in the fridge.